Saturday, June 17, 2006

Summertime


Our first pool of the summer. As soon as Lucy got in it, I realized it was a one girl pool. But, it was the only one we could fit in our trunk.

Kevin and I have different memories of summer fun in the water. He grew up in Florida with a "real pool" (Dad,this is where you could use air quotes -ha) in the back yard and not far from the beach. I grew up with a number of pools and sprinklers and, of course, the high dive at the Myrtle Creek public pool. I had the one-ring pool and several that were like a liner with hard, but flexible sides. My best pool memory was with one of those pools. My dad built me a platform on top of our hill in the back yard so it would be flat and sturdy. As soon as I got in, the side collapsed and I went flying down the hill of mulch and flowers in a wave of water. I stuck with a sprinkler after that for a while. Though I probably thought about how I wanted an in-ground pool when I was little (like I do now), that is not what I remember about my summers. I think I had the same amount of fun.

I (Kevin speaking) remember our Florida pool for a few things. First, it was a popular hang out for youth group devotionals and birthday parties. Usually, the birthday individual got heaved into the water unexpectantly. Shoes and all. Second, it was a popular location for wrestling with my brother. I, a stick for a body at the time, was frequently body slammed by him, an offensive lineman of the high school football team. Third, my little sister, along with her preschool friends, practically learned how to swim at our home. I had to jump in a few times to rescue a few wanderers. Last, my dog. That stinkin' cocker spaniel knew how to roll in the mud and jump in the water. He did over and over and over again. Of course, I usually had pool cleaning responsibilities.

4 comments:

Steve Puckett said...

Great pictures! It's wonderful to see all the family and to see Noelani at her graduation. Her and our daughter Whitney are about the same age. Whitney turns 18 this August and will be a Senior this year.

Hugs to your whole family.

Priscilla said...

so cute! i love the expression on lucy's face! that is a great moment caught on film! i'll never forget swimming behind ernestine's house in the river in mc and then the one time kevin left me alone with the teens to supervise them swimming at the rope swing...

Priscilla said...

kevin-you left me with the teens because you didn't want to go...but the river is definitely mullet-infested...

Priscilla said...

and i hope you know that i just am trying to give you a bad time about that time in mc...i actually think becky came with me and it wasn't a big deal...actually fun...i swung off the rope swing....although i was quite certain that brad, jojo, and jeremiah were going to kill themselves...they climbed to the top of the rope before swinging off...thank god no one got hurt or got bit by a snake...afterwards, steve told me that they call the grass from the road to the river "snake grass" because there are so many snakes there and i was totally freaked out cause i can't them