Monday, May 24, 2010

At the Movies.

Last night I had my first experience at the base theater. It's a multifunctional building used for both entertainment and training sessions. I can't complain about the lack of seat cushions because the movie was FREE (on Sundays). I can't complain about the popcorn machine being broken because it gave me the chance to finally eat nachos at a theater. I can't complain about the moms that brought their small children to a PG-13 movie because I figured their husbands were probably deployed and I could suck it up for a change. And finally, I can't complain about the quality of the picture (did I mention it was free?) because before each showing, everyone stands and they play The Star Spangled Banner. This puts a few things into perspective. Can you imagine watching these little 2 and 3 year olds standing for the anthem, assuming their dads are in Afghanastan? Add that to the fact that my friend I was with has a husband over there. I was pretty close to train wreck material. The movie played on and it was an odd transition from patriotism to romantic-comedy. This seems like something I would try to avoid but I actually have the opposite feeling. I felt more honored than anything else to be in that theater, with those people. I'll be back.

No comments: