Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reality.

I just posted about how great it is to live here. It is. But there is a certain reality that we are adjusting to. Kevin LOVES his job. He's never been so excited about going to work or getting up in the 5 o'clock hour. But there are days like today when all the reality starts to sink in a little. He's leading a short devotional this morning for a group deploying soon. The devotional is voluntary (as is all spiritual matters) but the last couple have had around a 75% turnout. This also means that we read headlines different now. This morning there was a Taliban attack that killed 5 troops. We have to care about that now. We can no longer ignore the headlines and push our uncomfortableness to the side. I'm ashamed that I've been doing that for so long now. We are not here because we love being in a war. We are here because we want to love the troops. These people are going through some of the most serious of things and I feel honored to be here and be a part of caring for them. There are some amazing sacrifices made each day, not only by the troops, but also their families. So, all of that to say, please keep Kevin in your prayers so he'll have the perfect words to say to these Marines as they face some of their most difficult challenges.

2 comments:

Mauri said...

I actually thought of you all when I heard the news about the car bomb. We are so proud of you guys. I am guilty of being one of those people that pushes it out of sight, out of mind. But know that we are thinking of you guys daily, and it's a great reminder of all of the families that sacrifice so much for our freedom.

Jenny Wilkinson said...

Thanks Mauri. I guess it's not so much that we are doing a lot right now ourselves except trying to be more aware and thoughtful of the families that are in the middle of their sacrifice. We'll have our turn so we are choosing to enjoy the time we do have together. Thank you for thinking of us. We love you guys.