Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Settled In.


Minus a few decorative items, we are pretty much settled in. I love my house. It's an older house but it was completely remodeled a couple of years ago. I'm excited to have a garage again and two bathrooms. I feel spoiled most of the time. We live on a cul-de-sac and so there's not much traffic. That is also because there are only half of the houses on this street occupied. There's been a lot of switching around the neighborhoods because they are building so many new houses here. Our street used to be occupied by the officers that moved to the newer homes in the neighborhood. There are a lot of status issues tied into all of this. I'm just happy to be here. :)

In some ways our neighborhood feels like we went back in time. Kids are able to go house to house and playground to playground without any supervision. My kids just stay in the cul-de-sac. This is life-changing for me though. I could not imagine my kids growing up the way I did. I spent all day outside playing with neighbors or just riding my bike around. Now they are able to be outside most of the time while I get to stay inside and do whatever I need to do. Does this mean I'll take up watching Days of Our Lives again? I have a feeling that it's just a matter of time. The funny thing about my peace of mind is that I have it even with the threat of rattlesnakes (that have been seen on our street) and what sounds like bombs going off at some part of the base throughout the day. This leads me to question if it's a feeling of peace or just desperation to have my kids out of the house. Something to ponder....

For anyone that has been to any of my houses, you would know that housekeeping is not one of my gifts. I don't know if it's the love of the house or because I've been stuck at the house most of the time, but I am a cleaning fool. I will probably have to have some sort of therapy for my vacuuming addiction. That is easily explained though by me getting a Dyson for Mother's Day. Still, it's a little creepy for me.

The picture above is our office area of the kitchen/dining room. This is where I sit when I am typing all of these words of wisdom. Maybe I'll have some other house pictures soon.

5 comments:

Priscilla said...

Looking good! And I am so excited for your peace of mind. What a great feeling to just send your kids outside and play! Can't wait to see the new place!

Mauri said...

I'm lovin' the green curtains! BUT, where is the tennis ball chair?????

Jenny Wilkinson said...

Tennis ball chair was left on the sidewalk of Sayles Blvd. There is another lucky person out there getting flipped out of it. Maybe they'll be at Lytle one night sharing their story.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're settled in and loving your neighborhood. I guess you don't have to worry anymore about random people knocking on your door asking for toilet paper or quarters. Actually, that's kind of sad because you're one of the few people I know who answered the door and actually gave them what they asked for most of the time. I have a feeling BJ misses you. Oh, well. I really am happy that Lucy and Owen are getting to enjoy some of the freedom we had as kids. Love and miss you all!!

Jenny Wilkinson said...

I kind of miss my random people too. I don't miss people stealing my plants but B.J. was a treasure.